This session has been written by Cath Lyden who heads up the FRESH Programme at Share Jesus International. Be sure to check them out here
The below works like a script!
Aim slide – Slide 1
Intro – Slide 2: Ok, Can you name me who these people are and what they are famous for? You have 2 minutes to identify them. Who can answer me?
- Mark Zuchenberg – Creator of facebook.
- Billy Graham – greatest evangelist to live.
- Martin Luther King – Paster, leader and activist for the civil rights movement in the 1960’s.
- Christopher Columbus – a sailor who apparently Discovered America
- Nicky Cruz – Worked with Gangs in inner city New York to stop the gang culture and turn people to Christ.
- Winklevoss twins – Original idea for facebook – facemash. 2004 sued Mark.
- Mordecia Ham he is the one who preached the gospel to Billy Graham and he got saved.
- Rosa Parks – Sat on the bus where the white people where allowed to go and started the civil revolution.
- Marco Polo – Traveler and he wrote many beautiful stories and poems about other countries particularly asia.
- David Wilkinson – The pastor who heard God, went to live in the Bronx and against much physical abuse loved Nicky Cruz into surrendering to God.
Slide 3: Leadership is influence nothing more and nothing less. Many people think that leadership means being the one at the front – it doesn’t it just means being influential.
Clip – How to start a movement.
Dev – Slide 4:
Why does this matter?
Well, In Genesis 1 & 2 we hear about this beautiful world that was created and the due to Adam and eve, the world became a place of separation. Ever since then, God has been at work at restoring this world back to himself. The bible is full of stories of this being the case:
1) Joseph gets beaten up and left for dead – God restores him and gives him a higher place in the palace, the right hand man to the pharaoh.
2) The Israelites are in Egypt in slavery and God promises them:
I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent among you. “You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, who has dealt wondrously with you. And my people shall never again be put to shame. (Joel 2:25-26)
He then leads them into the promise land a place flowing with milk and honey.
3) Rahab is a prostitute, yet after meeting the two spies who Joshua sent she says God restores her honour and through her faith her whole family where saved.
4) We are distant from God, Jesus comes saves us and reconciles us back to himself.
All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation – 2 Corinthians 5: 18
We often think that becoming a Christian means that we get a free ticket to heaven, but it’s not that! In fact when we become a Christian we have an active role in restoring the world to God.
In Corinthians we read:
16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[b] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:16-21
We are commissioned by God to go into the world. Here are the areas of the world that we are all involved in every day:
- Get into 7 groups
- In what ways is this world not the way God would want it to be? Post it notes with name at the bottom.
Each group spokes person – stick on world.
What do you want your life to count for? What if you could influence someone who could change the world, or better still what if you’ve just been influenced to changed the world!